Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What a week it has been. I spent some of my Saturday going through the volunteer orientation at the AC&C (Animal Care & Control Center). That is a VERY difficult place to be. There are countless dogs & cats there that do not have homes and never will. It is a reality that is hard to swallow and worse to ignore. "With Knowledge Comes Responsibility". I cannot tell you the number of people who say to me, "Oh, I could never go there! It's too depressing." That is the attitude that forces federal agencies like the AC&C to euthanize everyday. The attitude of apathy and the idea that things are too hard, or too much to deal with. The volunteers and staff of the AC&C are brave people, who deserve more respect that they get.

When I told Lee about my time there, he decided that we needed to go get our foster dog from there...and FAST. We drove up to the AC&C at 110th street on Monday at 5pm and chose our new foster baby! We can pick her up on Thursday, and it cannot come fast enough.

I could talk forever about the AC&C, the dogs, the facilities, the lack of supplies, the smell, and the deafening noise. I could talk about the policies and the people, the laws they are desperately trying to enforce and the education they are trying to provide. I could go on and on, but why not go see for yourself...you will be rewared more than you know.
Go to http://www.nycacc.org/ or check out their myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/nycacc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home